Saturday, March 22, 2008

Since Melissa demands an update.

So, my mom and I went to London. It’s a pretty cool place. Duh?

Because of the bad weather and other extenuating circumstances, we didn’t get to see quite as much as we had anticipated but we still got to see the major sites. We did the obligatory bus tour which was actually really interesting. The narrator was a real person which helped and, unlike in Brussels, they actually stopped at each stop. Through the tour we got to see a lot. I decided to sit outside on the top of the bus. I was shaking with the cold by the end but it was worth it. We also went, of course, to Buckingham Palace, Westminster, Tower of London, etc…and other such things to actually see them. The Tower of London as a location was kind of unimpressive but the amount of history that is held within that one spot is fascinating. I kind of judge a place by how cool I think their history is. Not really, but I totally geeked out at the Tower of London and over where they kept Thomas Moore, etc…and the place where they killed all those people. I love going to places that I read about consistently in history.

The whole time we were there I felt like I was cheating. English? OMG, English. At first I was on information overload because I could read every sign and listen in on every conversation. It was awesome. My politeness also returned. For obvious and also less obvious reasons, London was the most familiar and like home. People drinking Starbucks? Check. Poorly dressed and obese people? Check. Big portions for small(er) prices? Check. Yup. Actually, speaking of Starbucks, they were everywhere. Anyway, so the language thing made everything seem super easy especially the underground. I think the underground in general is suppose to be a good system but it was really easy and convenient. Here is an observation. Like in the U.S., there were few signs in any languages other than English. The Tower of London had one sign in German and French but that was all I saw.

Also, the idea of royalty is so absurd and yet, like celebrity gossip, I kind of find it fascinating.

Also, I guess I never realized how huge London was. I think it had over 7 million people. I definitely felt a little overwhelmed by its shear size and the amount of people. I kept feeling the urge to leave and get away from the city. I do understand though that it is also because I have also been going city to city with little time outside of it.



Now, all I feel is a need to go back to England, to see and experience more. I should elaborate on that feeling but I won't.

2 comments:

Melissa Goodman said...

Melissa demands updates. So it shall be written. So it shall be done! Glad to see you got such wonderfully sunny days in London...its not like it has a reputation for being rainy or anything.

Molly said...

I wish I were in England...