Friday, February 15, 2008

I forgot to post this yesterday.

All and all, today was a fairly productive with the exception being, of course, going to class. I will summarize, in my own words, my favorite moment from class for you.

Teacher: Voters in Nebraska are ignorant.
Me: I don’t think you can say that.
Teacher: I mean they’re farmers, etc…
Response: I know farmers in Pennsylvania who are very informed.
Teacher: That’s Pennsylvania but in Nebraska…

There were just so many classic moments, however, that it really hard to choose.

Then I got really annoyed at having to make copies of phantom articles, paying too much for printing and the fruitless process of scampering across the city to various libraries.

After class, I biked with Alex to a different campus (I don’t know what to call it. I know the law building is the there). From there we walked and got Bagels and Beans. At one moment, I forgot that I was in Amsterdam because I was eating a bagel, hearing the Americans at the next table chatting and listening to Paolo Nutini. I almost felt guilty but then my bagel was good enough to make me forget.

Afterwards, I got a second lock for my bike, lights, and a bell for my bike at Waterlooplein market. I really wanted to get a ladybug bell but I didn’t think it was worth the extra euros. I also found a store and got a new watchband.

The biggest success of the day, however, was beginning to figure out really the relationship on foot and bike that things are to each other. We parked our bikes to school and made it to Koningsplein and Herengracht which leads to the Rijksmuseum. I also now get how Kalverstraat connects to Amstel/Spuistraat and how Spuistraat connects to over where Melissa and I stayed and how to take Amstel to where I live and the relationship between school and Nieuwmarkt, and…well, I was just really excited. You can look at a map forever but putting it all together without a map is nice.

Another excited development was that I completed an entire transaction without the person on the other ending knowing I didn’t speak Dutch or as far as I could tell. On the other hand, I approach a checkout today and the woman spoke to me in English before I even got there.

I also registered with the municipality today. They told me that I would be receiving my social security card in a week so I guess that means I get to stay.

Oh, Tuesday I went to the International Student Borrel at some bar. There was about 300 people crammed into a very small space, speaking English and drinking cheap beer. My favorite thing was uber-creepy “Sebastian.” Imagine a Spanish guy. Now imagine a guy who expresses himself through his eyebrows and eye rapes every girl he sees. That was him. Also a note about the night. Non-American international students – Still cooler than U.S. students (You might have to go to Mac to get that).

No comments: