A Brief list of my favorite places in Amsterdam. They are surprisingly (or not) ordinary.
5. Centraal Station. The building is beautiful and you can almost imagine catching a train in the years past. I find the general chaos and people watching excellent. You can walk through the station and see an international gathering, confused tourists, sketchy/crazy looking people, panicked businessmen running to their train, small children, barking dogs, well you get the picture. Plus there is a AH To Go which you have to love.
4. The Public Library. I think I have talked about it already a bunch. It’s the largest in Europe and it’s awesome. I love to just wander, sit in a hyper-modern chair and examine the different books. Also good people watching.
3. Staalstraat (or so Bri claims the name is). I don’t know what it is about this street I love. It is just past Waterlooplein on the way to one of the UvA Campuses and libraries. It is a narrow little street with only bikes and people walking. There are cafes that are always full of people, a chocolate shop, a few gifts shops, a vintage shop and general cuteness. There is also a “smart shop” but that is less cute. Smart shop is code for mushrooms.
2. Riding the 10 Tram. It makes a U-shaped loop around the city and usually isn’t very full of tourists. It starts in a Hyper-Modern part of the city (near where I live), goes by the zoo, by early 20th century buildings, by Museumplein, Leidesplein, loops around up towards Rozengracht and up to the end of Haarlemerstraat (which is super cute). It goes other places but those are the highlights. Only down side is that it is one of about two trams that don’t go to Centraal.
1. Wandering my favorite neighborhoods. I know this isn’t an exact place. I just love coming across new shops, beautiful little alley ways and just interesting stuff. I explored the area around Vondelpark some more and I really do love it there. I also still hold the Plantage and Jordaan dear to me as well. I just like the feel of being in these neighborhoods.
5. Centraal Station. The building is beautiful and you can almost imagine catching a train in the years past. I find the general chaos and people watching excellent. You can walk through the station and see an international gathering, confused tourists, sketchy/crazy looking people, panicked businessmen running to their train, small children, barking dogs, well you get the picture. Plus there is a AH To Go which you have to love.
4. The Public Library. I think I have talked about it already a bunch. It’s the largest in Europe and it’s awesome. I love to just wander, sit in a hyper-modern chair and examine the different books. Also good people watching.
3. Staalstraat (or so Bri claims the name is). I don’t know what it is about this street I love. It is just past Waterlooplein on the way to one of the UvA Campuses and libraries. It is a narrow little street with only bikes and people walking. There are cafes that are always full of people, a chocolate shop, a few gifts shops, a vintage shop and general cuteness. There is also a “smart shop” but that is less cute. Smart shop is code for mushrooms.
2. Riding the 10 Tram. It makes a U-shaped loop around the city and usually isn’t very full of tourists. It starts in a Hyper-Modern part of the city (near where I live), goes by the zoo, by early 20th century buildings, by Museumplein, Leidesplein, loops around up towards Rozengracht and up to the end of Haarlemerstraat (which is super cute). It goes other places but those are the highlights. Only down side is that it is one of about two trams that don’t go to Centraal.
1. Wandering my favorite neighborhoods. I know this isn’t an exact place. I just love coming across new shops, beautiful little alley ways and just interesting stuff. I explored the area around Vondelpark some more and I really do love it there. I also still hold the Plantage and Jordaan dear to me as well. I just like the feel of being in these neighborhoods.
I am currently writing a never ending paper. I mean papers.
No comments:
Post a Comment