
Last weekend we went to the Dappermarkt. It was really cool and actually really close to here. I didn’t take any pictures because it wasn’t touristy but it was the most ideal market you could imagine. There were clothes, food, cleaning supplies and pretty much everything you could ever need. You could get fresh bread, warm, fresh stroopwaffels (I knew this city had them), fresh flowers, fish, or olives. Another observation regarding the market was that I noticed that the further we walked the greater the number of headscarves there were. At one point I think almost every woman around us was wearing one. I also finally went to the hip-hop bar which was cool as well.
When Marlene got here on Monday, I met her at the platform and, although she was tired, I dragged her around the city. We went to the library (yes, it is a site) for lunch,

and then went to the Stedlijks Museum. It is the modern art museum and I hadn’t been yet. It was really cool. It is in a temporary location so only part of the exhibition was on display but it was really good. In particular, there was work by Tobias Rehberger and Magnum photographers which I really liked. Afterward I walked Marlene to Dam Square, around the pretty, most historic Canals, and the Jordaan. It was a beautiful day outside (sometimes even sunny) and it was nice to just wander the canals. I haven’t done that as a tourist for a wh

ile. I liked it as well because I also got to stop at some of the cute shops that are over there. We also hung out a little bit with Josh and Elliot who were also visiting from Macalester. Tuesday Marlene wanted to sleep in so we did. When we finally got going it was around lunch time. To make a longer story short, Marlene and I ended up getting lunch at Bagel and Beans with Christy, Josh, Elliot, and Tim. Tuesday was also Christy’s birthday. After lunch we I met up with Sarah to get birthday fun. We got a cake at the big department store here De Bijenkorf which I had been eyeing since Melissa was here and a Cowboy piñata from Kitsch Kitchen. After class I met up with Marlene and we all celebrated Christy’s bday. Wednesday Marlene and I went to FOAM museum which was a photography museum. It was pretty cool. They don’t really have permanent exhibits. The majority of the photographers they were featuring now were Americans which was kind of disappointing. The pictures weren’t really artistically beautiful but interesting because of what they contained. After that we walked around some more, went to the Bloemen

arkt and Vondelpark. Vondelpark only gets prettier with time. I definitely need to eat at one of the cafés in the park before I go home. On the way back from Vondelpark I began to get sick and then I had the flu and have been in bed for two days. The end.
In summary of this Week:
Good thing: Marlene Came to Visit.
Bad thing: I got the flu on Wednesday while Marlene was still here.
Good thing: I got a job at Admissions this summer.
Bad thing: Because I am sick I didn’t go to Maastricht this weekend.
1 comment:
Now that you feel better, I think you should update your blog again. Just sayin'....
Post a Comment